Savoury Pot Roast
April 22, 2022 • 0 comments
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Servings: 6 to 8 servings
- (3 lb) Blade Roast
- (1 tbsp) cooking oil
- (1/4 cup (or more)) red wine vinegar (or sherry or red wine)
- (1/4 cup (or more)) ketchup
- (2 tbsp) soy sauce (or tamari)
- (2 tbsp.) Worcestershire sauce
- (1 tsp.) dried rosemary, crushed
- (1/2 tsp.) garlic powder (or minced garlic, or garlic scapes)
- (1/2 tsp.) dry mustard
- (1/4 cup) water
- ((1/2 to 1 cup each of) chopped celery, onions and/or sweet peppers)
- (optional: 1 to 2 cups each of) cut up vegetables (eg carrots, parsnips, potatoes, sweet potatoes)
In a heavy pot, brown the meat on all sides in hot oil.
(If using stew, brown about half of the meat at a time.
Remove first batch to a plate, and brown the second batch. Add
the first batch back into the pot.)
Sprinkle the meat with a little salt and pepper.
While the meat is browning, combine the other ingredients in a
bowl or large measuring cup.
When the meat is browned, add the ingredients mixture to the pot. Cover
and simmer until the beef is tender, 1.5 to 2 hours.
If you are including vegetables in the stew, add them 45 minutes to an hour after you start simmering the beef.
Check the liquid occasionally to make sure there is enough in the
pot. Add water or beef stock, if needed, but not too much at a time.
If the stew liquid needs thickening, add pureed or mashed squash or potatoes.